When was the last time that Maryland beat West Virginia in Morgantown? The year was 2002, so we’ll take a look at what was happening around that time.
- The last victory in Morgantown came on Oct. 5, 2002 when the Terrapins beat the Mountaineers 48-17 at Milan Puskar Stadium. In the game, quarterback Scott McBrien passed for 162 yards and a touchdown for Maryland. Maryland also got strong performances from running back Josh Allen (16 carries for 116 yards and a pair of touchdowns) and wideout Jafar Williams (two receptions for 70 yards and a touchdown).
- Back in 2002, the Maryland coaching staff consisted of Ralph Friedgen (head coach), Charlie Taaffe (offensive coordinator), and Gary Blackney (defensive coordinator). The season ended with a 30-3 victory over Tennessee in the Peach Bowl, and finished the season with a No. 13 ranking in the Associated Press and Coaches polls.
- This victory came about seven months after the Terps men’s basketball team defeated Indiana for a national title. Ironically, guard Juan Dixon is now on coach Mark Turgeon‘s coaching staff.
- Former Chicago Bulls great Michael Jordan was still playing in the NBA for the Washington Wizards. Jordan has been retired since the end of the 2003 season.
- George W. Bush was the President of the United States the last time Maryland was able to get a win in Morgantown. He served the post until 2009, and Barack Obama was been in office since that time.
- In 2002, quarterback Tom Brady led the New England Patriots to their first Super Bowl title in a 20-17 win over the St. Louis Rams. Behind the combination of Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal, the Los Angeles Lakers swept the New Jersey Nets in the 2002 NBA Finals for their third consecutive championship. The Detroit Red Wings defeated the Carolina Hurricanes in the Stanley Cup Finals four games to one in coach Scotty Bowman‘s final season behind the bench. On the diamond, the Anaheim Angels beat the San Francisco Giants in seven games to win the World Series with third baseman Troy Glaus being the series MVP. In the college football world, Miami defeated Nebraska 37-14 in the BCS National Championship game behind quarterback Ken Dorsey and wideout Andre Johnson.
- The Academy Awards crowned A Beautiful Mind as Best Picture while Denzel Washington won Best Actor for his role in Training Day.
More from Terrapin Station
- How to Win Instant $200 Terrapins Bonus at BetMGM
- FanDuel + DraftKings Maryland Promos: Bet $10 on Any Week 2 Game, Win $400 Bonus
- FanDuel Maryland Promo Gives $200 Guaranteed Bonus on ANY $5 Terrapins Bet!
- New Maryland Sportsbook Promos: $450 Bonus to Back Your Terrapins + $100 Off NFL Sunday Ticket!
- DraftKings + Caesars Maryland Promos: INSTANT $150 Bonus Plus Two Chances to Win