Nov 1, 2014; University Park, PA, USA; Penn State Nittany Lions running back Akeel Lynch (22) runs with the ball against the Maryland Terrapins during the second quarter at Beaver Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports
No. 1 vs. Penn State (Oct. 24)
No surprise here.
After Maryland made a statement at the opening coin toss, the tone was set for a bitter rivalry. On the gridiron, the Terps got the job done as they edged former offensive coordinator James Franklin’s Nittany Lions 20-19 in Happy Valley. Kicker Brad Craddock was the hero as he connected on a 43-yard field goal with just 51 seconds remaining. Neither offense seemed to show up on this November day, but the Terps were able to make enough plays to upend the Nittany Lions. To add some salt into the wound, local four-star defensive tackle Adam McLean flipped his commitment from Penn State to Maryland.
With the two schools battling for a lot of the same recruits, this game holds a lot of substance. The Nittany Lions have been on a roll on the trail lately, so this game carries even more weight for the Terps. A victory here may sway several recruits to one school or the other. It also doesn’t hurt that the schools aren’t very far apart, so it’s a geographical rivalry as well. Having this year’s game in Baltimore increases the stakes even more because both fanbases will definitely be represented at M&T Bank Stadium.
Needless to say, the atmosphere will be electric.
More from Maryland Football
- How to Win Instant $200 Terrapins Bonus at BetMGM
- FanDuel + DraftKings Maryland Promos: Bet $10 on Any Week 2 Game, Win $400 Bonus
- FanDuel Maryland Promo Gives $200 Guaranteed Bonus on ANY $5 Terrapins Bet!
- New Maryland Sportsbook Promos: $450 Bonus to Back Your Terrapins + $100 Off NFL Sunday Ticket!
- DraftKings + Caesars Maryland Promos: INSTANT $150 Bonus Plus Two Chances to Win