Anthony Cowan had an impressive weekend with his AAU team, DC Thunder at the adidas Gauntlet Series in Dallas. (Mandatory Credit: Kelly Kline/Under Armour)
While the talk has been about Diamond Stone recently, Maryland does already have a 2016 commit in the fold. However, 2016 guard Anthony Cowan is also pledged to the Terps and had himself quite the weekend.
At the adidas Gauntlet Series AAU event in Dallas this past weekend, Cowan posted some pretty impressive numbers in four games. The St. John’s (D.C.) guard averaged 14 points-per-game and 5.5 assists-per-game during the three-day event. Cowan also shot an above-average 43.5 percent from the floor.
DC Thunder won three of their four games during three-day tournament, according to the event’s official website.
More from Maryland Men's Basketball
- DraftKings Maryland Promo Code Gives You $150 INSTANTLY for ANY $5 Bet Today!
- Maryland vs. Alabama prediction and odds for NCAA Tournament Second Round
- LAST CHANCE! Bet $25, Win $400 With FanDuel and DraftKings March Madness Promo
- Maryland Terrapins all-time round-by-round NCAA tournament record
- Today Only! Bet $20, Win $200 if Maryland Makes ONE 3-POINTER vs Minnesota
Cowan was a huge get for Maryland as he committed to the Terps in January. The local product will likely be the heir apparent to current point guard Melo Trimble once he departs for the NBA.
Trimble played a large majority of the minutes at point guard this past season, due to the fact that Maryland didn’t have another capable ball-handler. In the fall, JuCo guard Jaylen Brantley will be in the fold, and will likely spell Trimble a bit more during the 2015-16 season.
Once Cowan arrives in College Park, Brantley will likely retain the starting role, and that will ease the transition of Cowan into the college game.
Cowan is currently rated as a four-star prospect, according to 247Sports’ Composite rankings. The junior guard continues to improve as a player, and will likely rise in the rankings once the summer concludes. Rivals actually has Cowan rated as the 53rd best player in the country in their most recent rankings.
More from Terrapin Station
- How to Win Instant $200 Terrapins Bonus at BetMGM
- FanDuel + DraftKings Maryland Promos: Bet $10 on Any Week 2 Game, Win $400 Bonus
- FanDuel Maryland Promo Gives $200 Guaranteed Bonus on ANY $5 Terrapins Bet!
- New Maryland Sportsbook Promos: $450 Bonus to Back Your Terrapins + $100 Off NFL Sunday Ticket!
- DraftKings + Caesars Maryland Promos: INSTANT $150 Bonus Plus Two Chances to Win