Updates on an emerging 2015 prospect that could receive a Maryland offer very soon. Also, where will Maryland look at the small forward position after Esa Ahmad committed to West Virginia? Updates on new 2016 targets and a 2017 point guard.
- I wrote about Tyrone Taylor over the summer, which can be seen here, when the staff first began scouting him. Now, it appears that he could be close to an offer. “Coach Turgeon visited me with coach [Cliff] Warren and they told me they love my game and that I can play well with Melo. For me, I’m definitely interested [in Maryland]. They’ll have a really good next couple years and the tradition of the program.” Taylor had a busy Wednesday evening, where he picked up offers from UTEP and Tulsa. UTEP also had an in-home visit with his parents, despite Taylor not present, on Wednesday night. It seemed that he would be Minnesota-bound for a while, but since they recently picked up another commitment from a guard, “I haven’t heard from them.” Taylor reminds me a little of Sam Cassell Jr, both players that would make a sizable contribution to the Maryland team.
- 2016 SF DeAndre Hunter recently spoke with Maryland after Turgeon went to Friends’ Central last week to scout him. Penn State and Villanova made visits after, but Hunter had positive things to say about Maryland. “I like their up-tempo style of play, I’ll be visiting soon, just not sure of the exact date yet. Turgeon introduced himself and just told me about the school and program.” Hunter mentioned he has also heard from USF, Arkansas and Oklahoma State recently. “Hunter said that he feels he can handle the ball and shoot well for his size.” With Esa Ahmad off the table and few wing players available in 2015, expect the staff to heavily recruit this position going forward with Hunter squarely in the mix.
- 2017 PG Jamir Moultrie is a prospect that will blow up, and it’s only a matter of time. Moultrie currently has offers from James Madison, Old Dominion and Towson, but has visited UVA and Maryland so far. Moultrie told me he will visit “within the next two weeks, but I’m not sure of the exact date.” With Romelo Trimble likely gone by the 2017-18 season, the Terps will need more point guards. Moultrie fits the Terrapin bill.
- 2015 SF Jordan Murphy told me he still has not heard from Maryland, even after Esa Ahmad committed to West Virginia. As Murphy is a skilled wing with a good jumper, it seems he is no longer a legitimate target for Maryland.
- 2015 SF Markis McDuffie will officially visit VCU this weekend and Wichita State next weekend. With SMU under legitimate consideration, it seems that Maryland is a little late to the party. With he and Murphy no longer targets, there are notable targets at this position.
- 2016 F Dylan Painter said that Maryland has been in contact with his high school coach and that they will be attending one of his workouts this month. Painter said “[Maryland] was one of the first big schools to inquire about me. They came and watched me workout last spring, too. They used to play in the ACC, but now they play in the Big Ten which is up there in the country.” Painter said he’s looking for a school “where I can play and contribute to a team that also has the best blend of basketball and academics.” It’s early, but Painter is another prospect that Maryland is recruiting at the position. Moving forward, we will monitor just how hard Maryland will recruit him, but he’s certainly a promising prospect.