Sep 08, 2012; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Maryland Terrapins kicker Brad Craddock (15) kicks an extra point during the fourth quarter against the Temple Owls at Lincoln Financial Field. Maryland defeated Temple 36-27. Mandatory Credit: Howard Smith-USA TODAY Sports
The Maryland football team released its first two-deep depth chart of the 2013 season on Monday afternoon. Here are some of the key notes:
- With fullback Tyler Cierski still battling a calf injury, redshirt freshman Kenneth Goins Jr. will start against Florida International. Temple transfer Andrew Stefanelli will back him up. Goins got some reps in the preseason scrimmage back on Aug. 17, so he should be prepared for action.
- The health of Deon Long is arguably the biggest question mark heading into the regular season. Long has been held out by a back injury over the past two weeks, but is still listed as the first-string wide receiver. As Alex Prewitt of The Washington Post notes, Maryland could think that Long will play on Saturday or they’re truly not sure if he’ll play or not. It looks like far from a slam dunk that Long will suit up against the Golden Panthers. If Long can’t go, Levern Jacobs will likely start in his place.
- Brandon Ross and Albert Reid are still listed as co-starters while no third running back is indicated. Joe Riddle (concussion) and Jacquille Veii (ankle) remain out and their status is unknown for Saturday’s game. It would be a fair guess to assume that Ross would be the starter but you never know. Most of the backs will see carries in Randy Edsall’s system.
- Ricardo Young and Caleb Rowe remain the co-backups to C.J. Brown at the quarterback position. As Edsall indicated last week, he may determine the backup on a week-to-week basis.
- Former starting right tackle Nick Klemm is no longer the backup to newly appointed starter Ryan Doyle. Redshirt freshman Moise Larose is now penciled in at that spot.
- Alex Walker and Andre Monroe are the co-backups to Keith Bowers at defensive end. Monroe has been dealing with a toe injury but has the talent to be very productive for the Terps this season.
- At the left guard spot, transfer Silvano Altamirano and junior Gary Harraka are co-backups. Junior Jake Wheeler is now the backup to Mike Madaras after Doyle moved to right tackle.
- Bradley Johnson had offseason cleanup surgery and has been limited in practice. He is now longer the starter behind Cole Farrand at the MIKE linebacker spot. Shawn Petty now occupies that position.
- At the cornerback position, freshman Issac Goins has been moved over to back up Dexter McDougle while Will Likely will back up Jeremiah Johnson.
- Since Zach Dancel is experiencing hamstring issues, Undray Clark is now the backup behind strong safety Anthony Nixon.
- In what could be the most closely watched position battle, sophomore Brad Craddock remains the starting kicker. However, freshman Adam Greene is the sole backup after beating out Brendan Magistro in training camp. It looks as though Edsall is allowing Craddock and Greene to battle it out for the kicking job. It could be just the motivation that Craddock needs to have a more productive season in 2013.
- Stefon Diggs and Will Likely are first and second string kick and punt returners respectively. This doesn’t come as much of a surprise as Diggs was electric in the return game a season ago.