- In case you missed it over the weekend, 2015 PVI point guard Kevin Dorsey committed to Minnesota over Nebraska and Maryland and Chris Bengel had the story here. Dorsey spoke highly of Maryland and the staff, but his commitment elsewhere may not be the worst thing as the staff continues to sit well with a number of point guard targets, such as Justin Robinson.
- Speaking of Robinson, he does not have any visits planned. He did tell me a while back that Butler, George Mason, Kansas State and Xavier were all entering the picture for his recruitment. Many believe that Virginia Tech is the leader and eventual destination, but he seems to be taking everything in and exploring all of his options rather than narrow down his list so early. With Dorsey off the board, Robinson is certainly the top priority for the staff and the staff has told him just that.
- I spoke with new Terp target Tyrone Taylor over the weekend as the staff was out to see him in Chicago. He broke down his recruitment and his outlook on the Maryland staff here.
- Two new offers were extended yesterday in former UConn commit Prince Ali and 2015 SG Eric Davis. Davis has recently broken into the picture for Maryland, but both have spoken highly of the staff and I expect a visit to Maryland from both prospects.
- 2016 Dematha OT JP Urquidez is visiting Texas this weekend for their version of the “Big Show.” Urquidez informed me that reports that Texas is his leader are untrue as he is looking to explore all of his options. Maryland made a big impression on him at the Big Show last Saturday and I expect them to be a contender for the time being. Urquidez also visited Penn State yesterday, where he also picked up an offer.
- 2015 QB Kai Locksley is on a visit to Florida State today, who is reportedly one of his three finalists, along with Maryland and Texas, according to Mike Farrell of Rivals. With FSU only taking one more quarterback in the class and Deondre Francois, who is also visiting FSU this week, leaning towards the Seminoles, I’m naming Maryland the eventual favorite for the son of Mike Locksley. However, Josh Newberg of 247Sports tweeted this out late last night:
Don't sleep on #VirginiaTech for Kai Locksley.
— Josh Newberg (@joshnewberg247) July 15, 2014
- 2015 OG Quarvez Boulware visited Alabama on Monday and has more visits planned, including a trip to Florida. Boulware still has a top four of Florida, North Carolina, Maryland and Wake Forest, and the Terps are currently his leader in the Crystal Ball predictions. I expect he and 2015 OT Isaiah Prince to become the final two commits to another stellar offensive line class.
- 2015 5-star defensive end Byron Cowart is by far the most talented prospect Maryland is recruiting. Cowart told me that Maryland will be in his top five regardless. The connections and just I felt like it might be able to be a home for me and my boys.” Cowart also spoke highly of the area, giving thought to life after football. Oregon and Florida are his two current leaders, but if Maryland gets him on campus again they have a legitimate opportunity to becoming a dark horse in his recruitment.
- 2015 Woodrow Wilson OLB Kareem McDonald decommitted from Old Dominion over the weekend. McDonald said he is open to returning to Old Dominion, but believes he has more offers coming his way. McDonald will visit Temple today, Wake Forest on Friday and Penn State on Saturday. Personally, he deserves more offers and with a strong senior season he will get those offers. He’s cousins and has a close relationship with Damian Prince, so if Maryland offers, expect him to become a Terp.
- After commitments from Deltron Sands and Ty Johnson, Maryland is likely done at this position unless someone emerges during their senior season. There are questions that Johnson may end up at cornerback, where his frame would allow him to thrive. Their top two targets were Deshawn McClease and Ray-Ray McCloud III. McClease committed to Virginia Tech yesterday and McCloud will announce on July 28th, where he will very likely make his commitment to Florida. With other priorities for the class, running back seems to be done after they got a steal in Deltron Sands.