Earlier today, Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop) reported that a source is saying the Maryland Terrapins junior guard Seth Allen has asked for his release from the program.
A source says Maryland sophomore Seth Allen has asked for his release from the program.
— Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop) April 30, 2014
The news, if true, would mark the fourth transfer this offseason for Maryland after guards Nick Faust and Roddy Peters left, as well as big man Shaquille Cleare. So far, nothing has been confirmed and Mark Turgeon has categorically denied the report to more than one source:
Text from Mark Turgeon on Seth Allen asking for his release: "Not correct."
— Alex Prewitt (@alex_prewitt) April 30, 2014
Granted, this exact same thing was said when I broke the report earlier in the offseason about Nick Faust leaving. This could give one the false assumption that Turgeon denying the release actually happened is just a semantics issue. There is a chance that nothing has happened yet, or that Turgeon isn’t going down without a fight (if Allen did, in fact, ask for a transfer).
Right now, there’s no updates occurring right now, and the only assumption that can be made is that Allen isn’t leaving based on Turgeon’s comments. Still, this amount of turnover during one offseason is a very bad sign for the program, if this turns out to be true. Despite a very solid class coming into College Park, the Terps can’t afford to lose one of their best players and expect to progress further. Allen was improving by leaps and bounds under Mark Turgeon, leaving doesn’t seem like a logical move for someone who just kept getting better.
We’ll keep you updated as the story progresses….