- It looks like those who have been clamoring for Jonathan Graham to start will be getting their wish. Prewitt of the Washington Post reports that Graham will get his first start at Maryland today against NC Central based on his performance last game against Tulsa. There’s no doubt Graham provides some major energy off the bench, but as a starter? I have my concerns that he may get into foul trouble before the under-16 timeout, at which point his effect will be marginalized. Hopefully I’m completely wrong.
- Speaking of Maryland basketball, it looks like Coach Turgeon wants the Terps to go back to the start, and according to the Baltimore Sun, is using motivational tactics to do so. While I agree that this is Maryland turning over a new leaf with Seth Allen back, they should not forget how it felt to lose to George Washington, or Oregon State at home, or be blown out on the road against Ohio State…need I go on? They should build from all their experience.
- It’s not the most popular opinion of all time, but I do miss Ralph Friedgen a lot sometimes. The 66-year old former Terps football coach sat down with Bruce Feldman of CBSSports.com to talk about Maryland, among other things. I liked hearing how he was doing since becoming a relative recluse, and I definitely appreciate his insight. There’s something to be said about coaches with continuity. Ralph was at Maryland for ten years, and I have to believe the Terps need to continue with coaches who last a long time. Good programs tend to do that.
- As an interesting addition to that article as well as the Bill O’Brien impending departure over at Penn State, here’s an older piece from PennLive about those two and their intricate relationship together. It’s pretty crazy how much Maryland and Penn State indirectly compete and are tied with one another.
- Oh and in case you’re in need of a preview for the Maryland vs NC Central game, just click the home page of the site and you’ll be there.
Happy New Year, everyone!