We’re all Terps fans here, but lately there’s been a bit of a “conference pride” movement going on, wherein the SEC will constantly cheer for ‘Bama, or the ACC will root for Florida State, or Maryland will partially root for Ohio State. Well, Discover has decided to let you do this in public via a little smack talk on their website with their “Cheer On Your Champs” campaign.
This comes in two phases, and here’s how it’ll go down:
- If you head over to http://www.discoverorangebowl.com/ , you can vote for specific teams to play in the Orange Bowl; yes, that means you can vote for the Terps if you so choose. All you need to do is log into your Twitter account from the site and they’ll auto tweet your pick, which will be featured on their website. Any pub is good pub, right?
- The website will aggregate the totals for each team, and eventually your team will be featured provided you vote enough for them. I went ten times for the Terps in the Orange Bowl, but that may have fallen on deaf ears.
- Once you’re on the website, the dashboard also features a nice little meter which shows the competition between fan bases. They also include pictures from Instagram and Facebook, assuming you use the proper hashtag (that being #DiscoverOrangeBowl and your team name i.e. #Terps.)
- You’ll also be able to recruit your friends from their website as well, so your team can up their votes exponentially by you including them in on the fun.
Now phase two is pretty money:
- If you’ve shared properly your photos and tweets, then these pictures and tweets will eventually show up on the Jumbotron at the Orange Bowl once the teams are announced. That is, of course, if your team actually gets invited to the Orange Bowl.
- Oh, and if you’ve ever wanted to be on ESPN, now is your chance. The same Tweets that will be featured on the Jumbotron, will also be featured on the ESPN pre-game broadcast right before the Orange Bowl. So yeah, free publicity for your team and for you.
Pretty cool, right? So get on it, folks.