The Terrapins fraternity extends far and wide, and in the NFL playoffs that can be clearly seen in the number of Terrapins playing. Unfortunately, five of the the eight total Terps participating in the playoffs were unceremoniously vanquished from them last week. That doesn’t mean that some of them can’t still have an impact, so we’ll give you a rundown of last week’s performance, as well as the Terrapins playing during this week’s divisional games in the NFL
- Madieu Williams and Josh Wilson, Washington Redskins – While the Redskins were eliminated from the playoffs and their quarterback went down like Barbaro, two Terrapins played admirably against the Seattle Seahawks. Josh Wilson managed six tackles (three solo) and a sack (for a loss of nine yards), while Madieu Williams had three solo tackles and a pass deflection. Not shabby performances when you combine them! A-
- Erin Henderson, Minnesota Vikings – Erin Henderson was on the field quite a bit during the Christian Ponder-less Vikings thumping at the hands of Green Bay, and his stats reflect that. Eight total tackles and an awesome Jay-Z Terrapins reference to start the game permits me to give him an A++.
- Moise Fokou and Davin Meggett, Indiannapolis Colts – Fokou and Meggett, well, they didn’t really play major roles in the Colts loss against the Baltimore Ravens. Meggett continued his trend of never getting a single snap at running back, while Fokou only registered three total tackles. I have to give them a D-.
- Torrey Smith, Baltimore Ravens – On the winning side of the ball was Torrey Smith, playing in an intensely emotional game which featured Ray Lewis patended pregame dance for perhaps the last time. Smith wasn’t spectacular, but he was solid, chipping in two receptions for 31 yards (one of which was a nice 22-yarder). This weekend, be sure to catch him in what is guaranteed to be a tough matchup against the Denver Broncos Saturday at 4:30 PM.
- Lance Ball, Denver Broncos – Ball and the Broncos had a bye last week, but this Saturday against the Broncos could potentially be a showcase for him. With Willis McGahee out and Ronnie Hillman in the doghouse for fumbling issues, Lance Ball is expected to split carries with Knowshon Moreno. During Week 17 against the hapless Chiefs, Ball hit 66 yards on 15 carries and also had a touchdown. Will Broncos coach John Fox reward his solid performance with more carries?
- Vernon Davis, San Francisco 49ers – Vernon Davis didn’t do much of anything on the bye last week, and given his lack of any chemistry with quarterback Colin Kaepernick, he may not do much this weekend either. Over the last eight games with his new QB, Davis only has 174 yards and one touchdown. Maybe with more physical football and a grudge match Saturday at 8 PM against the Green Bay Packers, there will be a need for his rough and tough style of play. I hope so, for Testudo’s sake!
Either way, let’s wish all of the Terrapin progeny good luck this weekend in their exploits!